Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lent

So, today is Mardi Gras! Aside from planning on gorging myself at lunch because I won't have time to eat dinner until like 9 tonight, I don't have any special plans. I do have a big critique in my installation photography class, which I'm actually super excited/nervous for, because I absolutely love my project (photos to come later).

Anyways, tomorrow starts Lent. Normally I give something up. Last year I gave up soda. It didn't help me with my love of Dr. Pepper, I still drink it. But it was a good experience. A lot of people I know are giving up social media. I think that is a good idea, however I actually use social media for a purpose and to connect to the kids I work with in a relevant way (and one where they actually respond, compared to email, which apparently is dead to high schoolers).

This year, I decided to do something different for Lent. Instead of giving something up I am going to take something on. I decided that every day of Lent I am going to do something good for someone. I am going to try and be conscious of what is going on around me and look for opportunities to love on people. Whether it be holding the door open for someone with their hands full, holding the door open for someone who doesn't have their hands full, helping someone carry groceries to their car, or whatever falls in front of me. I am going to pray about it, because I definitely need God's help with this one. Also, I am open to anybody's ideas of ways I can do something good for someone.

What are you doing for Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment