Monday, March 28, 2011

Facebook-less For A While

Sorry for the lack of posts the past week or so… but I was on vacation, and the last thing I wanted to see was my computer. To help with that, I decided that it'd be a great idea to deactivate my Facebook account for the time I was away. Which, turned out to be an awesome idea.

I tend to over-check facebook. On my computer, on my phone, all the time. So, deactivating my account, and deleting the app off of my phone considerably decreased the amount of time I spent using those things. And some great things happened with that time.

First, I realized the world does not end if I am not constantly connected with everyone I have ever been acquainted with. Seriously. The thing I love about social networking is how easy it is to know what is going on in everybody's lives. But that is also the thing I hate. It's like information overload. It is also incredibly impersonal. I'd rather find out about someone's great day because I took the time to call them, not because they wrote it as a status.

Second, which should have really been first because this was the best part, on more than one occasion, when I normally would have been in my own little world, checking facebook, like while waiting for the bus I ended up having great conversations with complete strangers. I saw things I would have missed.

There's a whole lot more I could get into, but I have homework to do, a shower to take, and a bed to tuck myself into.

No comments:

Post a Comment